Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure Support

Knowledge Base Forums Submit a ticket
Implemented

Dates in other than US format

The mm/dd/yyyy format is not used in the UK for instance. Could date be displayed as per device locale?

4 people like this idea

I fully agree with Brad and disagree with Eden (please forgive me). I have been using the ISO standard for decades (I started before 1988, having read about the standard before it was published).  Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601  But there are still (*&^*#^ government (and other) forms that use ambiguous date formats — look at all the date fields on forms that have printed under them the particular format that agency or company wants. Within companies and among government departments different date formats are rife! Canada, where I live, is a mess regarding date format, probably because of the French, US and British influences.

Using a standard ISO format resolves these as well as regional issues. The format is YYYYMMDD with a hyphen being an allowed separator (a slash used to be allowed, but I have always used a hyphen). The major point is there is no ambiguity. A nice side effect is that items (e.g. records in a computer file) can be sorted correctly on a single field without having to manipulate the field or sort on multiple sub-fields.

I really need the International date format for MS5 on my Android phone, my wallet for all critical info. I've just made an expensive warranty mistake because of US neanderthals fail to conform to international norms, still think the Earth is flat, the sun revolves around the Earth, Evolution stopped eons ago... No wonder airliners crash because of miscalculated conversions of Imperial into Metric that the rest of the World uses. Bah!

HI Graham,

The international dates feature has been implemented in mSecure 5 on iOS, Mac, and Windows. Unfortunately, it has not yet been implemented on Android. Some of the dates on the Android such as the last modified and created dates will display in the international format. However, the data field will only display in a US format at this time. 

I see the status for this is 'Implemented' - on what version? his problem has just caused a lot of hassle with an airline when I had to change the passport details I had in mSecure. 4/10, is that 4th October or 10th April. Before it was in long form so was easy to distinguish. Now I can't trust mSecure with dates.

Android 8.0.0

mSecure: 5.5.5.1135

Any update? I've just entered some dates and  I'd like to see them in my local format (UK), not the US....

Hi, I notice this request is entered 5 months ago, can you give an update. I've raised a similar request and also using Android. Using the calender in Android I'm able to use the dd/mm/yy format in other apps.

Hi Brad,

Thank you for contacting us. Who is debating any standard here? Ben simply let us know that the Android version is not displaying things in the dd/mm/yyyy format when using a language settings other than English (United States). We have no yyyy/mm/dd format in mSecure and have no current plans to introduce that format at this time.

I always use yyyymmdd because that is based on an international standard (ISO 8601) that was established way back in 1988!  Why are we still debating this issue 30 years later?  LOL

Hi Ben,

You are correct. The Android version is missing this ability. We will be updating the Android version to use the international date format soon.

I think on Android it is currently not matching the device locale.

Hi Ben,

Our date formatting is based on your location/language settings on iOS, Mac, and Windows. I'll need to test Android to see if that's the case on Android since I'm not 100% on that at the moment. However, again, we're doing this already or should be. The dd/mm/yyyy format is also my preferred date format as well.

Login or Signup to post a comment