Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure Support

Knowledge Base Forums Submit a ticket
Deferred

Allow editing/changing of record Types

It seems to be the case that every element/field of every record can be edited except "Type." Can this be changed so that this element/field can also be edited (perhaps through a pull down menu like used for "Group." As it stands now, if you decide sometime after you create a record as a "Login" (for example) you decide that it makes more sense for it to be an "Email Account" you have to delete the entire record and start all over.

25 people like this idea

Yet another problem is, if I get an email about a topic (your response on the watched topic), it has a click to reply button (Nice Feature!) in the email. 

When I click to reply, the web browser opens up to a view only copy of the response(s). Then, however, when I go to sign in, the web site brings me to the top of the web site, not back to where I just was, signed it and ready to respond. That, quite simply is a coding error on the part of whoever designed your site. You should fix that one, too. 

Hi Henry,

Again, we are using Freshdesk and Freshdesk/Freshwork's support functions. I'm sorry they are not up to your standards (some of it isn't up to mine either).

There are several fine examples of web based forum applications. 

Doesn't your provider provide support? The BOLD character style seems the only one that wasn't working. I figured out the others and see now that you may have fixed the one that wasn't operative. So we're good on that. You're welcome. The rest are probably more extensive:

• Editing of a posting not allowed. 
  • Preview of a post before it is sent not allowed.  
  • Showing an added/uploaded image, in context, or the actual code snippet to allow move it within the posting as a preview, while composing it. <- Elaborated from a previous post. 
  • Showing comments on a particular post in context to group those comments together in a "thread" or a  'sub-thread'. You probably would only want two levels on something like that. 

Hi Henry,
Yes, I know of great forum software. Software like the classic phpBB, vBulletin, Vanilla Forums (our previous forum software), Discourse (I've been wanting to use this for a bit). However, we'd prefer to have a our support articles and forum topics all searchable under one system. I personally feel that customers benefit from the way others will title and format a question so they can get better results when searching for solutions to issues or questions.

I did indeed fix the bold character issue. I also made the comment box expandable as you type. As for your other issues:

1. I'd like to have editing allowed for posts/comments for a least a small period of time. I've contacted Freshdesk about this and it is in the works. 
  2. The comment/edit area shows you exactly what a post will look so I'm not sure why a preview is needed. That said, it is something I've asked Freshdesk about. They have no plans for this.
  3. You can use the image icon to add/upload an image in context:

4. Yeah, I don't mind having comments in a single level, but having multiple levels again would be nice. It makes for quoting and replying to specific questions or issues much easier for me. Freshdesk has not gotten back to me about this request yet.

I have used mSecure for a while, too, to where I recall being able to change an entry’s Type. It would even prompt that there maybe some data missing because of less fields in the new selected Type. I would certainly appreciate this ability to reassign an entry to a new Type, like the good ol’ days. But for now, one temporary solution until they can add this feature is log into mSecure on your computer and have your other device with you on the record you need to switch Types on, and type the data onto the new Type on your computer. Then you can delete the old record.

The previous version of msecure allowed you to change the Type.  The current version doesn't seem to allow you to change the Type.  You changed the Type, and msecure warned you that field difference might cause you to lose information.  You accepted the change and went ahead with the Type change.  I used this feature to create new Types with more fields. After creating the new Type, I would change the entry’s type and update the additional fields.  I would like to see the Type change feature added back to msecure.

I would like this feature as well. When the new version came out I found new types that better matched the details I wanted for some of my existing records. It took a long time to manually reorganize things. Perhaps a migration option when changing types would be nice. One that lets you map fields between types or select ones that should be deleted

I would suggest (being cautious) to allow creating a duplicate record

In the duplicate record a user could:

insert a new field anywhere, copy the previous value from the old field and paste it into the new field, delete the old field, then

"map" the list of fields to any group/type which contains matching fields classes in any order.

So, I could take a BSSID type record which has a BSSID:uncorrected text, SSID:uncorrected text, Password:hidden text

and change it into a SSID type record which has a PreSharedKey:hidden text, BSSID:uncorrected text, SSID:uncorrected text.

So essentially, I mess with changing a duplicate record into a new type record.

I assume someone with 500 passwords might need a more robust approach though.

Agree. Would be nice to do this. A good compromise re field structure incongruenties would be to simply plunk data from old record as a return-delimited text field into the notes field of the new record. At least that way we can repopulate the new record without too much hassle. 

Beats not facility at all.

dm

Good day!

Kindly ask you to add option change type in the cards from list templates.

image above protrudes into the entry below

If I understand the suggestion correctly, I second it. You my see my long-winded explanation in the thread on “suggested features, re-ordering fields”. I created a many-field item for my bank only to note, afterward, that a field I had defined as “text” should have been “numeric” (a PIN). Rather than dig through and correct the problem—no simple feat—I decided to let it be. Editing the field type would surely be a convenience in recovering from my foibles.

I do not wish to offend anyone, but allowing the card type to be changed is not a good idea. Surely any motivation to do so is the result of migrating from mSecure to mSecure 5. When that migration is/was done is the time to clean up imported records. I am strongly opposed to such a change, perhaps because of my programming background.

Allowing card types to be changed simply undermines the architecture of the software, adds convoluted code (more likely to cause defects, "Bugs") and increases the footprint of mSecure.

My opinion, for what it is worth.

Hi John,
While I agree with you, this is an issue that we have received a lot of feedback about and we have decided to allow users to change their record types once more. With the new system, all extra fields should be set up as custom fields when moving from one record type to another record type with fewer fields. I'll provide more information about this when available. 

Just to add my two-cents worth here, I have just migrated my mSecure 3.5.7 database on Mac/iOS to mSecure 5.6.2.  I have 566 records and am disappointed to learn that we cannot change a record type.  Whereas virtually everything else can be edited/modified within the system, the deletion of this one vital capability makes the new system, for me, very non-user-friendly.  It is much less work to remain with the previous version until this feature is implemented in the new one.

Login or Signup to post a comment