Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure Support

Knowledge Base Forums Submit a ticket

Sharing database multiple devices?

Hi, I've been a mSecure user on iPhone since 2009 and I really love it, so much so that when my wife got her own iPhone, she bought it as well.  When double checking to make sure the version I have (4.5.4) will be compatible with iOS12 I was surprised to see that version is no longer supported and didn't realize the last update was some time ago.  I was also somewhat taken aback to see the now $29.99 price for version 5.  Still, it was a bargain at $2.99 all those years ago, so I can overlook it.  :) 

So, I have a couple of questions.  I see that the app allows for installation of the Pro version on multiple devices.  I'm assuming this means that all the devices also share the same database (or account, if you will), correct?  Currently, we each have our own database on each phone, but honestly, having ONE database for both  is probably the best idea anyway.   How does this work?  Is one the "master" and the other the "slave" that receives updates?  Or can either make changes that automatically  sync to the other?  We would probably be using the WIFI option as we use with some other apps.

Scott

1 person has this question

Hi Scott,

Thanks for being a long time mSecure user! mSecure 5 is a brand new app, and it marks the first time in the history of our company that we have charged for an upgrade to mSecure. We wanted to make it a free upgrade for our customers, but with the current landscape of application development, it was not feasible for us to do so. Although mSecure 4 is no longer for sale, you can still always redownload that version and it is still compatible with iOS 12. Here's an article on how to download the previous versions: https://support.msecure.com/en/support/solutions/articles/36000064249

You are correct on your mSecure 5 assumptions. The purchase of an mSecure 5 license is tied to the mSecure account used to purchase it with. You could either purchase two separate mSecure 5 licenses using two separate mSecure accounts in order to maintain separate mSecure information or you can use a single mSecure account and a single mSecure 5 license instead. 

If you opt into combining your information with that of your wife's, you would need to combine the information in mSecure 3 or 4 first before moving to mSecure 5. Since you'll be using multiple devices, my recommendation would be to use our mSecure Cloud or Dropbox syncing in mSecure 5. However, if you choose to use WiFi syncing, the "master" device would be the computer that you set up mSecure 5 with to be the "main computer." You can learn about mSecure 5's WiFi syncing feature and how to set it up here: https://support.msecure.com/en/support/solutions/articles/36000064301

Also, as a previous customer, you can upgrade to mSecure 5 at a 33% discount. Please create a ticket on this website to get a link or coupon offer and let me know if you have any other questions here.

Wow, thanks for the reply and thanks for the discount! I read the link you provided, but I’m not sure I’m clear. By “main computer” do you mean literally a computer like a Windows PC or can it be one of the two iPhones?

WiFi syncing has always required a computer using mSecure to work. This has not changed with mSecure 5. As I mentioned, I would recommend using our mSecure Cloud or Dropbox syncing to make everything a lot more simple for you and automatic as well. WiFi syncing cannot be done with only mobile devices.

Ah, ok, thanks! We never used the sync option so I wasn’t sure. Appreciate the support!

Login or Signup to post a comment