There are several reasons why a QR code or account key can return as invalid. Here are a few possible reasons and possible solutions.
Here are the main issues that can cause an account key or QR code to return as invalid:
- The QR code was meant for a different mSecure account.
- The QR code is an older QR code created before changing your account password
- The QR code is your original code after going through a password reset.
For the first issue, please make sure that you are using the proper mSecure account associated with your account key and QR code.
mSecure will create a new QR code whenever you change your account password and send you a new authentication email labeled: mSecure Account QR Code – Your Password Was Changed. Please make sure to use this new QR Code and authentication email instead. You can always re-send yourself the authentication email from the device you changed your account password from.
If you have gone through an account reset, you’ll have to make sure to reinstall mSecure 5 and(or) remove the mSecure.mscb database file if you are using mSecure 5 for Mac so that you can fully sign out and back into to your mSecure account. This will allow mSecure to create a new account key and send out a new authentication email for you to use.
If you have gone through an account reset and our having authentication or syncing issues, we advise you to create a backup for mSecure 5 and go through an account reset again. This time, please follow the uninstall/remove instructions. After the reset and uninstall/removal, restore from the backup file you created.
Need More Help?
If this doesn’t solve your issue:
- If you have access to your mSecure account in mSecure 5 (you are signed in to your account on a device)
- Remove all previous Authentication emails
- Resend yourself the authentication email from within the mSecure 5 settings
- If you do not have access to your mSecure account in mSecure 5 and do not have an authentication email or a working authentication email, you will, unfortunately, have to go through an account reset to reset your account and allow mSecure to create a new account key and send out a new authentication email.