Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure Support

Knowledge Base Forums Submit a ticket

Big Sur compatibility?

There does not seem to be much development activity on this product (releases every 6 months?)   Can you state your plans for compatibility with macOS Big Sur which is imminent?  I am about to migrate from mSecure 4.5.4 to version 5, because of sync problems I encountered after upgrading my iPhone to iPhone 12 Pro.  I tried lots of things but eventually cleared out all remnants of mSecure on all devices but two, turned off iCloud sync and deleted all the data stored in iCloud.

Hi Brad,

Thank you for contacting us! We are currently getting ready for our next major release, mSecure 6. It's nearing it's beta release, and we're doing everything we can to get it ready before the end of the year. This has been our main focus for awhile now, so the activity for version 5 was more about bug fixes than anything else.

Regarding Big Sur, mSecure 5 will be compatible with that release. Even if a compatibility release is necessary, that will happen, though I don't foresee that being needed at this time.

Have you been able to upgrade to mSecure 5, or were you waiting for a response here before proceeding?

I did upgrade, but I still have some minor difficulties.   I couldn't get iCloud sync to work in both directions.  I am using MSecure sync right now, though I'd like to switch back to iCloud at some point if possible.   I have a good bit of feedback and suggestions about the interface.... perhaps its too late to make suggestions for version 6, but if it's not, let me know how I could best participate.  I'm going to hold off on Big Sur for at least a month.

Hi Brad,

iCloud syncing can be a tricky thing to get working consistently, and we're not sure why that is. Ever since iCloud syncing was opened up to 3rd parties, it has been notorious for all sorts of weird sync issues like you mention here. It doesn't make any sense that the syncing would happen in just one direction, but it happens. One of the weirdest things about it is that for most everyone, iCloud syncing is rock-solid. They won't experience anything like one-way syncing, long sync times, or no syncing at all. It just works from the start and never stops. For me, when I test iCloud syncing, the worst thing that happens is I'll experience some long sync times, but it's the same if I'm syncing photos between my iPhone and my Mac. Sometimes it's nearly instantaneous, and other times it can take a day or two.

To make matters worse, it's pretty much impossible to debug, because all of the sync code is Apple's. They simply provide an API for connecting with the iCloud servers, then iOS and MacOS do the work of syncing. 3rd party apps simply hand te data off for syncing and recieve the data on the other end. None of the actual syncing is handled by the app.

These are all part of the reason we created mSecure Cloud for syncing. It uses the same security, but since the cloud code is ours, we can work most any issues we run into. And it's why we recommend using mSecure Cloud for our customers. You are free to use whichever sync feature you would like, but mSecure Cloud syncing is the most simple, secure and consistent feature we have for syncing your information.

Regarding mSecure 6, we are always open to feedback and suggestions. It's very unlikely with how close we are to release that they would make their way into the initial release, but we keep a catalogue of new and improved features for future releases.

I just updated to Big Sur. Big mistake. mSecure does not open at all in Big Sur. When are compatibility issues going to be addressed?

Hi Lynne,

I'm not sure what's happening here, but you should have no problems running the latest version of mSecure on Big Sur, even if you have one of the new Macs with the M1 CPU. mSecure 5 is fully compatible with the new OS.

When you look at the mSecure app icon on your Mac, is the icon a bright blue or is it a really dark blue color? Also, do you have access to your information in mSecure running on at least one other device?

Login or Signup to post a comment