Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure Support

Knowledge Base Forums Submit a ticket

Essentials WiFi Synching Stopped Working

Hi have been using MSecure6 and synching with my Windows PC on WiFi for quite a while.   However, it recently stopped working.  My Android device does not see my Main Computer (I see the message "Server is unreachable").   However, the Android devices shows the correct server name and IP address.

I have tried rebooting both devices; checking that my phone is using WiFi; turning Main Computer off and on; making sure both installations of Msecure are up to date.  The versions I am using are 6.0.271.0 on Windows 10 and 6.0.6.1626 on Android.

Is there anything I can try to make this work again.

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for contacting us, and I am sorry for the issue you are experiencing. In order for Wi-Fi syncing to work, mSecure on your main computer and all client devices must be open AND unlocked. If mSecure is closed on your computer, a connection cannot be made between the client and server, so a sync cannot be performed.

Also, the settings/preferences cannot be open in mSecure on any device. If the settings/preferences are open, the desktop computer is considered to be "busy," and the sync will be aborted.

I'm going to have you turn off all your devices, let them sit for about a minute, then turn them back on. After they have rebooted, start mSecure on your main computer and the client device you are using, unlock the app, then leave them both on the main view. Does a sync take place within about ten seconds?

If a sync doesn't take place within a minute, please run through the instructions in our Wi-Fi sync help article: WiFi Syncing Issues

If syncing is still not working, go ahead and open mSecure's Sync Setting on each device. Make a list of each of the properties displayed in the sync settings and let me know which ones are red, yellow or green.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I have been very busy and just got back to looking at the issue.  I'm still having the problem.  Both my tablet and phone are unable to sync with my desktop.  Below are the details from my desktop and phone.

Note that I checked that I can ping my desktop from my phone.  Phone's address is 192.168.1.29.  Phone is connected to router via Wi-Fi.  Desktop has a wired ethernet connection.  Sync has been working for several years and appears to have stopped in the last few weeks.  I didn't make any changes recently.   However, updates are pushed out to my phone and desktop frequently. 

Desktop

Sync Method: Wi-Fi

Main Computer: On

Sync Status:

LAROUCHE-31

Network: Ethernet

IP Address: 192.168.1.12

Phone

Sync via Wi-Fi

Sync Automatically:  Greyed out (slider is to the right)

Sync Status:

Client

SM-G991U1

Network: 11 Fernwood Place LAN 

Red icon shows no connection.

Server:

LAROUCHE-31

Network: Ethernet

IP Address: 192.168.1.12

Regards,

Dan

Hi Dan,

It sounds like this has something to do with the Network settings on your PC, because the IP Addresses on each device are correct, and you are able to ping your computer from your phone. Did you go through the instructions in this article: WiFi Syncing Issues

In particular, the one issue that causes the most problems is the network not being set to "Private."

Hi Mike,

I am able to ping my PC from my phone.  I tried to follow the instructions on WiFi Syncing Issues, but they seem a little out of date for Windows 10.   The screen I see after step 6 does not have an option to make the Network Profile "Private".  However, I did find the "Advanced sharing settings" under the "Network and Sharing Center".  In this screen I  and set the network type to Private and turned on network discovery.

I also tried making my laptop the "Main Computer".  When I did this my phone, tablet, and desktop are able to sync with the laptop.  However, when I make the desktop the "Main Computer" nothing can sync with it.  I think this shows that everything is on the same network and the problem is due to something on my desktop that preventing access.  I just don't know what that could be.

Hi Dan,

I'm not sure what's going on here either. Oh, and thank you for letting me know the instructions are out of date. I'll check them to make sure they are updated.

Typically, if the network was not set to Private, then changing that setting fixes the problem for all devices on the network. Are you saying that if you set your laptop to the "Main Computer", then all devices, including your desktop mSecure app, sync correctly? If so, it's very, very strange that your desktop wouldn't work as the "Main Computer." Real quick, can you try turning of the "Main Computer" toggle on your desktop, then fully shut down the computer for about a minute. After a minute or so, restart your desktop, then try turning on the "Main Computer" toggle?

If that doesn't help, can you tell me what IP Address is showing in mSecure's Sync Settings on your desktop?

HI Mike,

Yes.  That's exactly right.  The desktop does not work as a main computer, but is able to sync with the laptop when the laptop is the main computer.   I tried the toggle/reboot ideas you suggested, but that didn't work either.

The desktop computer is currently set as the "Main Computer".  It shows the correct node name and ip address (LAROUCHE-31, 192.168.1.12).    My phone shows the correct information (main computer name, and ip address) also.  It just displays a broken link for the connection status.

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the extra information. It really does sound like this is a software or firewall-related issue. Since all the settings are right, and everything is working on a different computer, something is unique on your desktop that's keeping the apps from communicating. Do you run any anti-virus software on your desktop by chance? If so, it could be that the firewall in the anti-virus software is causing the communications issue between your mSecure apps.

Hi Mike,

I found the cause of the issue.  It turned out that my Hyper-V (Microsoft's hypervisor) switch was the cause of the problem.  I have been using Hyper-V for about 6 weeks so I didn't think it could be the cause, but I must not have synched since I enabled the feature in Windows.

For now I'm just using a second LAN connection on my PC instead of sharing the switch between the main session and the virtual sessions on my PC.  That seems to solve the issue.  Thank you very much for your help.  

Regards,

Dan

That's great news Daniel! Thank you for following up and letting me know how you fixed the problem.

Login or Signup to post a comment