Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure Support

Knowledge Base Forums Submit a ticket

Can't restore - not accepting password

Hello, I opened a ticket days ago and you have not responded so I'm trying it this way, noting that I'm really disappointed in your customer service so far. 

I had to reset my password (and followed your instructions to uninstall and reinstall on all apps). I can see a backup file on both my iphone and my Mac laptop, When I select "restore" and then select the appropriate backup file to restore, it asks for my password, I enter the same password I use to log into the app. It says "incorrect password". I currently have access to zero of my passwords. I have been waiting six days for a response to the ticket I opened. Please provide guidance ASAP here. 

L

Hello again, please respond to this query!

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for contacting us, and I'm sorry for the issue you are experiencing with your password. Also, Nick, the support rep you were working with has been out sick for the last three days, which is why you haven't received a response from him. I'm sure you'll receive one from him on Monday.

I read your ticket, and I'm not sure we're going to be able to help here. When mSecure no longer accepts your password, that means it can't use the characters your typing in to decrypt the data stored in the app. When that happens, the only way to get into the app is to either remember the password or reset your account.

I checked your account, and I'm seeing that on September 1st, you went through the account reset process. I'm guessing you tapped the "Forgot Password" link when opening the app on your iPhone, but it's possible you went to are site and reset there as well. The problem is, once you reset your account and you reinstall the app, the data in your account is destroyed. After the reset, there is absolutely no way to get at the data. The only way to do so would be to remember the old password to restore from a backup that was made before the account reset. Backups are encrypted with the password that was being used at the time it gets created, so again, unless that exact password is entered when trying to restore from it, there is no way to get at the data. It's this way to keep your data safe, because if you could change your password after the backup was created and still get access to the data stored in the backup, it would have no security at all. Someone could get access that file, change the password that's encrypting it, and then restore the data.

At this point, our only hope is if you have access to your information on at least one device, even if it's just through Touch or Face ID.

That was super helpful - used prior password and got it all restored! Thank you - and hope Nick is feeling better

That is really great news Lisa! I'm glad to hear you were able to use the old password to restore your data. Nick will be back today, so you should receive an email from him either today or tomorrow. You can let him know you were able to get it figured out if you haven't already =)

Thank you very much for your time, and please let us know should you need further assistance.

Login or Signup to post a comment