Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure Support

base di conoscenza Invia un biglietto
Non assegnati

Linux Desktop

Hi, I'm a newbie to this forum, but a long time Msecure user. I couldn't find any reference to Linux in the Forum discussions, so I'd like to request a Linux version of Msecure desktop. I can't bring myself to install Windows 10 and of course Msecure Desktop doesn't install on XP. But I've been migrating to Linux, and would love to take Msecure 5 with me. Thanks

9 persone apprezzano questa idea

@payam nab

While we don't have plans for an Ubuntu version of mSecure, we are offering browser extension for Mac when mSecure 6 is released. We will also be offering them for Windows, but we are waiting for some changes Microsoft will be making for applications before they will be implemented on that platform.

Also would like a Linux version of mSecure.  Have been using mSecure on W10/7 etc for many years but time to move to Linux and so, unfortunately it seems, will have to move away from mSecure.

Thanks,

+1... (just moved from Windows to Linux for my desktop machine).  But since a Linux version isn't a priority (understandably!) -- @Mike, is there any chance the synchronization protocol is documented somewhere?  I'd be open to writing a simple client, depending on how complex the protocol is.  (I've done some security-critical dev work in the past, and I think I understand some of the dangers involved.)

@Rob Thank you for contacting us about Linux functionality! This might be doable, but I would need to talk to our developer first. The security model is open to anyone and the AES-256 encryption algorithm is open source, so it should be possible to create a simple client app if you were inclined to do so. I think the easiest way to do this would be to start with Dropbox syncing, because that requires no interaction with either our mSecure Cloud server or another desktop mSecure app. You would simply be connecting to your Dropbox account, downloading the sync file, and then creating everything needed to decrypt the data. Once done, then you would simply need to re-encrypt the data and upload to your Dropbox account in order to sync any changes you made to the other mSecure apps.

Let me talk to our developer about this. And for anyone listening in on this thread, do know there are no guarantees we'll be able to make this work, and also, this is only for @Rob, as whatever client app he might create will not be sanctioned by mSeven Software. That should all be obvious, but I just didn't want to get everyone's hopes up =)

If you could Rob, please email us at "support@msevensoftware.com" and we'll continue the discussion via email.

I have been using msecure 5 happily on my androids and OSX mojave computers.

Since BigSur now introduced the brilliant idea to send hashes at any OSX app starts (and whatever else) I decided to stop using OSX and I already migrated the (luckily mainly java based) stuff from that OSX BigSur to an Ubuntu 20 on the same iMac hardware. Works like a charm. But now every time I need to grab a password I need to switch via e.g. nomachine to another OSX computer having an mSecure instance running. Even if mSeven did not "prioritize" it, now missing mSecure on the linux computer is a real loss of time for me (sorry).

So please CONSIDER seriously  ASAP the linux platform!

Thanks and nice work so far :)

Just adding another voice—I support the need for a Linux solution from mSecure. I would prefer a native desktop app of some kind, but I would also be happy with just a web-based system or even some official help with a Wine solution (would Proton help?)

@Robert Unfortunately, at this time, I don't foresee us building a Linux version of mSecure anytime soon. It's possible it could happen in the future, but now is definitely not the time to take on this type of venture. I do thank you for your feedback, and I'm sorry I don't have better news.

Thanks very much for your feedback!

Make an amazing solution better by supporting LINUX ....

Please reconsider a LINUX version and especially for Ubuntu.... your competitors offer this and Browser plug-ins!

Hi

My workaround to the problem of no linux support ;-) has been to install Oracle Virtual box to run Windows (as a guest OS) on my  linux host, and simply install/run msecure on the virtual Windows. That works fine (also for msecure wifi syncs, which is what I use to sync my Android phone). Of course this requires a WindowsOS license for when you install Windows as the guest OS...

If this seems a crumby solution, note that it also solves the problem for other hardware that does not  provide Linux support (e.g. my Samsung phone!)

What about the idea to supply registered mSecure users a Windows installation file that can be installed under Wine in Linux?

++ I would also like to see a Linux desktop client.  I am currently running Fedora 27, Cent 7, Mint 16.  I have used mSecure for many years and would like to take advantage of 5 features on my systems.

Thanks,
Rick

Hi Oliver,

I'm not familiar with Wine, or with Linux in general, but it is possible to sideload mSecure outside of the App Store. It's not something we do often, because it can be a difficult process, and it has some required files that make it possible to install a UWP app outside the store, so I'm not sure it would work for your purposes. Do you know if side-load files can be used to install in a Wine context on Linux?

Also, as soon as some big changes come from Microsoft, it will become possible to install mSecure from a file outside of the Microsoft Store again. They are supposed to be making it possible to have UWP-based apps usable outside of the Store, so when that functionality becomes available, we plan to incorporate that functionality for mSecure.

I used to use evernote and the lack of a Linux client was not so much of a problem because the Web interface was pretty decent. Might that happen?

Accedi o Iscrivitiper pubblicare un commento