Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure-Unterstützung

Chrome extension - non beta

All the discussion regarding the Chrome extension seems to be for the beta version.  I've installed the extension and it doesn't behave anything like the browser extension article.  The shortcut (ctrl-shift-e) nor clicking on the extension icon (as shown in the same article) gets no response.  I assume that it's a setting in Chrome but I don't know where to look.

Hi Jerry,

The Chrome extension is live, and it should work as advertised in the browser extension article. The only thing I can think of that would cause what you are experiencing is that the Native Messaging Host file was not created correctly or has been damaged in some way. Go ahead and open a Finder window on your Mac, then click "Go > Go to Folder" in the menu bar at the top left of your screen. In the field that gets displayed over Finder, paste this information: 

~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts

In the folder that your taken to, do you see a file named "com.msevensoftware.msecure6_ext.json"? If you do, please attach that file to your next email so can take a look at it.

I'm sorry that I didn't tell you that I'm on a Windows 10 machine.

Hi Jerry,

Ok, this is making sense now, and I should have seen that you posted this in the Windows category of the forum. I'm sorry I didn't see that before writing my original response. At this time, the Chrome extension is only supported in Mac. However, we do have plans to port it over to Windows as soon as possible. It won't be implemented in the 6.1 release that will be ready soon, but we plan to start working on it for the 6.2 release.

I suspected as much.  One would think that Chrome would check which platform is running it and not download an extension meant only for Macs or vice versa.

Thank you.

I'm in total agreement with you that Chrome should be doing a platform check. I was amazed when I set up the extensions and found the only thing I could do was to explain to the user in the description it was only supported on Mac. I think the problem is that if it was a typical extension, it would work in both Mac and Windows. Actually, the browser code for the extension actually does work on Windows, but there is much more to the feature than just what happens in the browser. The browser extension has to communicate locally with the mSecure app installed on the computer, and that's where the issues arise. Google isn't taking that into account because it's not very likely use case for extension developers, which is unfortunate. The good news is it will be supported on both platforms as soon as possible.

Take care Jerry, and please let me know if you need further assistance.

Anmelden oder Registrieren um einen Kommentar zu veröffentlichen